Members of Department:
HOD: Mrs Ann O’Neill
KS3 Co-ordinator: Mrs Ann O’Neill
Miss Catherine Cumiskey
Ms SarahJane Fahy
Mrs Claire Ferguson
Mrs Mary Gavin
Ms Deborah O’Kane
Ms Lisa Ryan
The aims of our department are to help students to:
• Communicate effectively in speech and writing
• Understand, select and use relevant information
• Understand and respond imaginatively and sensitively to what they hear, read and experience in a variety of media
• Appreciate and respond to all genres of literature in a way appropriate to the student’s development and the demands of the courses being followed
• Appreciate their cultural heritage
• Understand themselves and others and in doing so encourage respect and tolerance both in the school community and in society
• Experience enjoyment and a sense of personal achievement.
Key Stage 3
A wide range of literature (Poetry, Prose and Drama) is studied as well as non-literary and media texts. The emphasis is on engagement with reading, exploring the intentions of the writer and reactions of the reader. There are opportunities for individual and group work with displays and presentations.
Students also have an opportunity to visit our school library once a fortnight during English class.
Pupils have 5 periods of English per week.
Year 10 English
The suggested list of 19th Century authors for GCSE English Literature is below. Year 10 pupils are reminded to refer to this list, as reading some of their novels will be invaluable preparation for next year. Remember, “A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.”
Louisa May Alcott
Hans Christian Anderson
Arthur Conan Doyle
Edgar Allen Poe
Robert Louis Stevenson
Laura Ingalls Wilder
GLA Entrance Assessment Results
Results have been posted to arrive on Saturday 4th February 2023
If any Parent / Guardian of a P7 pupil who sat the GLA Entrance Assessment in Loreto Grammar School has not received results in the post, you may call the school office between 12noon and 1p.m. on Saturday 4th February.
This session is only to facilitate issue of results which have not been delivered.